Fire Ant Sting

Image and content excerpted from the VisualDx clinical decision support system.


Image of Fire Ant Sting

VisualDx images show variation in age, skin color, and disease stage. VisualDx has 10 images of Fire Ant Sting.

Full text and additional images for Fire Ant Sting are available in the following VisualDx packages:

Pediatrics Complete

See descriptions of all packages available or sign up for a Free 30-Day Trial of the Essentials Package.


ICD Codes

ICD-9-CM:
E905.5 – Other venomous arthropods causing poisoning and toxic reactions

ICD-10-CM:
T63.421A – Toxic effect of venom of ants, accidental, initial encounter

Synopsis

Fire ants are stinging ants found worldwide. They live in large colonies in the ground and typically feed on plants, seeds, and small insects. Unlike most other ants that bite to kill their prey, fire ants bite to hold onto their prey, then inject a toxic alkaloid venom with their posterior sting. They can sting multiple times. Most species of fire ants do not come into contact with humans and, therefore, are not of medical significance. The exception is the red imported fire ant, Solenopsis invicta (RIFA). Native to South America, this ant has now spread to the southern and southwestern United States, eastern Australia, the Philippines, Taiwan, and China. In areas where red imported fire ants live, up to 60% of the human population is stung annually.

The sting of a fire ant causes an immediate painful, burning sensation (hence the name "fire" ants). Soon after, most victims develop an IgE-mediated wheal and flare reaction near the bite site. Within the next 24 hours, vesicles develop that are initially filled with clear fluid. The fluid then becomes cloudy, leaving a typical fire ant lesion that is an umbilicated, sterile pustule on a red, erythematous base. These pustules may persist up to 10 days but will eventually rupture, form a crust, and sometimes leave a scar. Secondary infection can occur when pustules rupture.

Fire ant venom is mainly composed of piperidine alkaloids, which cause histamine release and necrosis of human skin. A very small percent (0.1%) of the venom is composed of allergens that can induce an IgE-mediated reaction and may be cross-reactive with bee and wasp venom. Allergic reactions are common, but anaphylaxis is rare (< 1–2%). Death from massive stinging events (5,000–10,000 stings) can occur, typically in victims who are incapacitated, such as invalids or intoxicated individuals.

Anaphylactic reactions cause diffuse urticaria, pruritus, angioedema, bronchoconstriction, respiratory distress, hypotension, loss of consciousness, and cardiac arrhythmias. Typically, onset of life-threatening, anaphylactic signs occur within 10 minutes of the sting.

Systemic reactions including seizures, peripheral neuropathy, serum sickness, nephropathy, and worsening of cardiopulmonary disease have been reported in individuals with numerous stings or those with manifestations of anaphylaxis.

Try VisualDx FREE for 30 days

VisualDx is your key to a faster, more accurate diagnosis.

Sign up today and receive a FREE 30-day trial to the VisualDx Essentials Package.

Your VisualDx subscription includes mobile access via our Apple and Android apps.

VisualDx is a web-based clinical decision support system used in over 1,500 hospitals and large clinics. Learn more.

Get your FREE 30-day trial